Portugal residents, please

Madeleine Beth McCann went missing from PDL in Portugal on the 3rd May 2007, there are so many unanswered questions, please discuss

Re: Portugal residents, please

Postby TimH » Fri May 30, 2008 3:26 pm

Photon wrote:
TimH wrote:pear...just saw your post. Can't imagine any lawyer could ethically try to defend two sets of clients on the same charges.

In the US, if Kate and Gerry were to be charged, most ethical lawyers would try to split the defense team with one defending her and one him. They would each have their own for their own protection.

Presumably this is why there are 2 British and 2 Portuguese lawyers?

I'm not sure what the breakdown of the attorney's responsibilities are... which would actually argue before the court and which are simply part of the team to sit in on interviews, do legal research and to put the case going before the court together.

Not that it matters...we'll know soon enough. :mrgreen:
TimH
Been Cautioned

Postby Fenugreek » Fri May 30, 2008 3:28 pm

pear wrote:
As to the lawyers, I think that there is a humongous legal team (or various legal teams). As the only one that matters at this point in time, from a procedural point of view, is the Portuguese one, I don't see anything strange in them sharing a team specialized in MLA. I suppose it's a very specialized thing.

Sorry, I think I've derailed the thread by accident (although it's interesting that the Oldfields and Paynes apparently are not being represented by the McCann team).

The original point is: what evidence do we have to think it was four friends who caused the cancellation, rather than two McCanns and two friends?
Fenugreek
On Parole

Postby pear » Fri May 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Fenugreek wrote:
pear wrote:
As to the lawyers, I think that there is a humongous legal team (or various legal teams). As the only one that matters at this point in time, from a procedural point of view, is the Portuguese one, I don't see anything strange in them sharing a team specialized in MLA. I suppose it's a very specialized thing.

Sorry, I think I've derailed the thread by accident (although it's interesting that the Oldfields and Paynes apparently are not being represented by the McCann team).

The original point is: what evidence do we have to think it was four friends who caused the cancellation, rather than two McCanns and two friends?

Short of seing the note from the office of the Attorney General, I don't see what evidence we can get.
pear
Hardened Criminal

Postby Fenugreek » Fri May 30, 2008 3:53 pm

pear wrote:
Short of seing the note from the office of the Attorney General, I don't see what evidence we can get.

Couldn't someone ask the Portuguese news agency to clarify? My guess is that the agency heard that four people were not going, Clarence issued a statement, and as a result, they drew a conclusion that was only partially accurate.
Fenugreek
On Parole

Postby pear » Fri May 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Fenugreek wrote:
pear wrote:

Couldn't someone ask the Portuguese news agency to clarify? My guess is that the agency heard that four people were not going, Clarence issued a statement, and as a result, they drew a conclusion that was only partially accurate.

Naaah. The "Lusa" version (that you find reproduced in the PT press and then later in the UK press, etc) has had a little editing. The AFP, for example, names the press officer of the PGR. I must say that the only person that I would trust is this lady, Mrs. Ana Lima. I guess the only way is to ask her the note directly (I suppose it was a written note, but there is notheing in their site).

Where is Levy/Reis/etc when we need them?
pear
Hardened Criminal

Postby Fenugreek » Fri May 30, 2008 4:08 pm

pear wrote:Where is Levy/Reis/etc when we need them?

Making stuff up to fit their own agenda, is my cynical response!
Fenugreek
On Parole

Previous

Return to Justice for Madeleine