JON GAUNT - Open letter to McCanns

Madeleine Beth McCann went missing from PDL in Portugal on the 3rd May 2007, there are so many unanswered questions, please discuss

Re: JON GAUNT - Open letter to McCanns

Postby muratslawyer » Fri May 30, 2008 4:06 pm

JillyComeLately wrote:
ponky wrote:
muratslawyer wrote:I cant understand what you all want JG to say ..within the parameters of libel laws .. He's the only journalist to actually stand up and question the " pink facts" only journalist to give people like us a platform to criticise the McCanns .. only journalist to have a column almost daily giving the masses something to think about and use their loaf .. you cant expect him to put his job on line ..He's gone miles further than anyone in UK media to show inconsistencies in the "story" only journalist to categorically state it was neglect and not responsible parenting .. only journalist to bring in experts to pick faults in the McSpin ..FFS give him a break .. the readership of the sun aren't rocket scientists ..all the have heard from him daily is there is something fishy here .. that's all they will read in it ..do you actually want him to say hey peeps K&G killed Maddie ? Sorry.. Give credit where its due .. he has more b@lls than the whole UK media put together ..If this was Clarrie McSpin why is Clarrie too scared to come on his show?

BRAVO :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

No, I don't expect Gaunt to come out and say the McCanns killed Madeleine but I also DON'T expect him to say he doesn't believe they did (emphatically says it and repeats it) still pushing the abduction nonsense for posters here to misinterpret it (IMO) as meaning the opposite to what he's actually saying.

If you get my drift...

sorry he didnt say he didnt believe... he said i cant believe .. big difference .. when you tell a friend i cant believe you did that .. you mean "i know you did it but dont understand why ?.. he didnt say i dont believe .. he said i cant believe .. read what you want in it .. just please quote his words right
Cadaver dogs can't tell lies
Justice for maddie
muratslawyer
Suspect

Postby MaryPoppins2 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:11 pm

I agree that this piece seems to very negative for the McCanns (although I have no personal knowledge/insight into Jon Gaunt's thinking).

I was talking to some colleagues earlier today, - filling them in on the latest legal ruling news, and sharing a few personal thoughts. There is 1 who consistently fails to see anything suspicious in the McCanns behaviour, although freely admits that she 'doesn't listen much to it all anymore'. The view being that M was, of course, abducted.
Another is of the belief that there is obviously something 'very fishy' going on but agrees that 'people don't seem to think about the story much anymore and they'll probably never find out what happened to her now'. Both these people looked at me with near total disbelief when I mentioned 18 text messages.

What my exchanges today said to me was that the whole notion of 'abduction' may still be quite widespread. Imo the press has a long way to go in order to present a credible, alternative view. I read this piece as going as far as possible without getting into trouble legally. I also believe that the latest 'bits of news' (and more importantly the Mitchell's responses), will add to the mood and suggest questions that people will ask.
MaryPoppins2
First Time Offender

Postby librarising » Fri May 30, 2008 4:12 pm

I agree that Gaunt has written against the McCanns here. I can hardly believe I need to say that as it seems so obvious... but then this is the crazy world of the 3As where every cloud has a hidden agenda.

With a 500K libel settlement behind us and an editor who has announced a pro-McCann policy? What more could the guy have done to call them into question?

It is of course possible that Rebekah Wade has changed her mind about the right approach to this story. The papers will feel their way carefully but the tapasniks' refusal to attend the reconstruction has opened up some new angles for them and this may be a sign of that.

Gaunt is a populist writer who needs to keep on being a bit outrageous - but he needs to find outrageous things to say that actually most people will agree with, that's the shock-jock agenda. And he's onto a winner here isn't he?

No, this is not like Paxo interviewing CM will be once the court case is under way (ok, in my dreams), but I think it's over-reading in the extreme to see him as secretly working to get the McCanns off a murder charge (or whatever) when he's quite obviously simply doing his job.
It ain't over till the thin lady sings.
librarising
Been Cautioned

Postby weissnicht » Fri May 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Salomon ES wrote:
ponky wrote:
Salomon ES wrote:Fine... you know what? I respect the opinion of all posters and I think they are legit. I'm not going to give this Jon GAUNT letter more importance and undue prominence than it already has.

What I would suggest is that some of us think a bit outside the boundaries of this and other sites that have been discussing Madeleine for months. Just ask anyone you know who is a Sun reader and who is not in these discussion boards what he / she think about the Gaunt letter.

He-she will probably tell you that they think that the McCanns were a bit irresponsible going out on the p***, but that someone abducted their daughter and the police have cocked up the investigation.

Apologies to Tigger if i sounded patronising and happy posting. At the end of the day we're all free to believe whatever we want.

This is not a letter sent by a reader, it's written by a Sun columnist.

Ponky: the point is that the average person on the street that reads the Gaunt column is not going to interpret it as you do (and some in this forum do).

I have to say, I agree with you Salomon ES
"We have not cooperated in any shape or form"
Clarence Mitchell
weissnicht
Mafia Boss

Postby JillyComeLately » Fri May 30, 2008 4:14 pm

muratslawyer wrote:
JillyComeLately wrote:
ponky wrote:
muratslawyer wrote:I cant understand what you all want JG to say ..within the parameters of libel laws .. He's the only journalist to actually stand up and question the " pink facts" only journalist to give people like us a platform to criticise the McCanns .. only journalist to have a column almost daily giving the masses something to think about and use their loaf .. you cant expect him to put his job on line ..He's gone miles further than anyone in UK media to show inconsistencies in the "story" only journalist to categorically state it was neglect and not responsible parenting .. only journalist to bring in experts to pick faults in the McSpin ..FFS give him a break .. the readership of the sun aren't rocket scientists ..all the have heard from him daily is there is something fishy here .. that's all they will read in it ..do you actually want him to say hey peeps K&G killed Maddie ? Sorry.. Give credit where its due .. he has more b@lls than the whole UK media put together ..If this was Clarrie McSpin why is Clarrie too scared to come on his show?

No, I don't expect Gaunt to come out and say the McCanns killed Madeleine but I also DON'T expect him to say he doesn't believe they did (emphatically says it and repeats it) still pushing the abduction nonsense for posters here to misinterpret it (IMO) as meaning the opposite to what he's actually saying.

If you get my drift...

sorry he didnt say he didnt believe... he said i cant believe .. big difference .. when you tell a friend i cant believe you did that .. you mean "i know you did it but dont understand why ?.. he didnt say i dont believe .. he said i cant believe .. read what you want in it .. just please quote his words right

Fair enough, I went back and re-read it and it is ambiguous.

However when referring to his own children, that he would lay down his life for them and then, to the McCanns, he says -

No doubt you feel the same about your three.

I don't read that in any other way than it's written.
"It is a fact that in the right formation, the lifting power of many wings can achieve twice the distance of any bird flying alone."
JillyComeLately
Mafia Boss

Postby bonnybraes1 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:16 pm

IMHO, whatever his private views, Jon Gaunt simply isn't in a position to say what we would like to hear.
Given the constraints he must be working with, I feel the very fact that he is at least encouraging his many readers to question, and to think for themselves, pretty good going.
bonnybraes1

Postby muratslawyer » Fri May 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Gaunty is slowly chipping away at the whole "excepted" ideas .. once he has made the the whole tapas story look silly and the excuses used.. im sure he'l chip away at the "abduction" story too .. just wait til charges are laid and the worry about being sued is out of way .. he wont hold back then i promise
Justice for maddie
muratslawyer
Suspect

Postby jjp » Fri May 30, 2008 4:18 pm

JillyComeLately wrote:
ponky wrote:

If you get my drift...

He is not aiming his column at the posters here. What they do or don't do has no bearing on his writing style or arguments. He is simply attempting to influence the readership of the Sun. In my opinion a reader of the Sun with very limited background knowledge will now think less highly of the McCanns and Jon Gaunt will have achieved the clear objective of the article.
jjp
First Time Offender

Postby Fenugreek » Fri May 30, 2008 4:19 pm

weissnicht wrote:Ponky: the point is that the average person on the street that reads the Gaunt column is not going to interpret it as you do (and some in this forum do).

But remember what Kelvin McKenzie said at the LSE? His email in box was absolutely flooded with McCann haters. The average Sun Reader probably loathes the McCanns. I also think people are nowhere near the sheep people here sometimes imagine. I think Sun readers are intellectually lazy, but I think the average person in the UK is actually rather cynical (and I say that having lived in a number of different countries).
Fenugreek
On Parole

Postby jjp » Fri May 30, 2008 4:21 pm

MaryPoppins2 wrote:I agree that this piece seems to very negative for the McCanns (although I have no personal knowledge/insight into Jon Gaunt's thinking).

snip....

I am in precisely the same position. No way of knowing what JG thinks, but on reading the article without preconceptions seeing it as very damming of the McCanns.
jjp
First Time Offender

Postby librarising » Fri May 30, 2008 4:21 pm

I think Sun readers will not be led by this article directly to question the abduction story, but they will be led to question the motives for not returning, and the piece certainly doesn't lead them in the fit-up-by-PJ direction, which is one I think most people would resist anyway. Those questions need to be raised - people will start to draw conclusions when they remember who the arguidos are. And they have been reading elsewhere about what the investigation is looking into. Tomorrow may bring some slightly bolder stories as the press look at one another and try to avoid missing a trick.
It ain't over till the thin lady sings.
librarising
Been Cautioned

Postby Mairy Hinge » Fri May 30, 2008 4:21 pm

completely agree with JJP's posts... Gaunty is being deliberately disingenuous here, for 'I cannot believe' read 'I am not permitted to publish my belief' the when he says 'but plenty of people disagree' this is putting something challenging to most non-internet savvy peeps out there, to suck on...
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ETA: and calling the McC's bluff wonderfully visibly! An elegant 2 fingered salute!
Last edited by Mairy Hinge on Fri May 30, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katie Lies... you can see it in her eyes
Steely Dan - Katie Lied
Mairy Hinge
You're Nicked

Postby muratslawyer » Fri May 30, 2008 4:23 pm

sorry he didnt say he didnt believe... he said i cant believe .. big difference .. when you tell a friend i cant believe you did that .. you mean "i know you did it but dont understand why ?.. he didnt say i dont believe .. he said i cant believe .. read what you want in it .. just please quote his words right[/quote]

Fair enough, I went back and re-read it and it is ambiguous.

However when referring to his own children, that he would lay down his life for them and then, to the McCanns, he says -

No doubt you feel the same about your three.

I don't read that in any other way than it's written.[/quote]

surely you can see what hes getting at .. hes being sarcastic .. hes saying he would go to jail for his girls .. but they wouldnt ..
Justice for maddie
muratslawyer
Suspect

Postby wearefloatinginspace » Fri May 30, 2008 4:24 pm

notdeadfred wrote:
ferret wrote:He did also make Ealmon Holmes nearly fall off his stool and have a heart attack when live on Sky TV

he said -

They are responsible for Madeleines disappearance, they are guilty of negligence if they werent she would still be here now

Ealmons reply Was - you cant say that.

This was whilst reviewing the papers one morning.

Yes, he did I remember that interview, Eamon chipped in with it was all the fault of the Portuguese Police, and Gaunty asked why, when the cadaver dogs were British and the DNA was analised in the u.k. too. EH just shuffled on his chair and said nothing.

yeah, i was thinking about that interview as i read "portuguese police MAY have not have handled the investigation well".

that's a bit different to "the portuguese police have not handled the investigation well".

jon gaunt knows.
wearefloatinginspace
New In Town

Postby The Pink Panther » Fri May 30, 2008 4:33 pm

Why can't Mr Gaunt say as he pleases, every one else does.
The Pink Panther
New In Town

PreviousNext

Return to Justice for Madeleine