Would any of the Tapas 7 be in receipt of State Benefit?

Madeleine Beth McCann went missing from PDL in Portugal on the 3rd May 2007, there are so many unanswered questions, please discuss

Would any of the Tapas 7 be in receipt of State Benefit?

Postby Tigger » Fri May 30, 2008 10:48 am

Just a question!! Don't throw custard pies at me yet!!

Not sure if any/some of them are still working but my suspicion is that some of them may be off sick? If so they will by now be entitled to Incapacity Benefit? Anyone shed any light on this? Thanks

I was for a long time employed by the NHS and know that once 6mths has passed and sick pay becomes reduced, there were instances of some of my colleagues not being FIT enought to return to work therefore benefit is payable?

Thought as it was quite quiet this morning I would offer it up to you all. 'IF' they are on benefit would they then be entitled to other services.........for example legal assistance??
Without prejudice. All posts are opinion based unless backed by a link or quote.

When everything depends on just one tiny lie, we forget that in order to correct one lie, seven others have to be told.
- Shevat Yehudah
Tigger
Local Lag

Re: Would any of the Tapas 7 be in receipt of State Benefit?

Postby Tigger » Fri May 30, 2008 11:01 am

:( :( :( No one have any views.............even if this means the British Taxpayer could be picking the bill up? Well it is a possibility isn't it?? Who is working? And even if they are all their salary will be eaten up, maybe it is a no win no fee :roll:

Maybe they have secret annon backers of their own.................? I don't think I could find one in my telephone book!! But then maybe they have re mortgaged their houses?

The McCanns won't share any of their money I doubt SO how are the Tapas 7 meeting their legal bills? Well it is a reasonable question! Anyone got views? The longer this takes the MORE money is being eaten up!
Without prejudice. All posts are opinion based unless backed by a link or quote.

When everything depends on just one tiny lie, we forget that in order to correct one lie, seven others have to be told.
- Shevat Yehudah
Tigger
Local Lag

Postby NeverPebbles » Fri May 30, 2008 11:03 am

If they're genuinely sick and away from work I imagine they would be entitled to Incapacity Benefit and the other perks that go with it?
'They've taken her!'
Who, Kate? Who 'took' your daughter?
NeverPebbles
On Parole

Postby Tanszi » Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 am

If theyre genuinely ill, and i would have no reason to question that, providing they have paid the right amount of contributions, they would be entitled to Incapacity benefit. Im not au fait with all this, are there perks to be had when claiming incapacity benefit.
Tanszi
New In Town

Postby Tigger » Fri May 30, 2008 11:08 am

This is what I am thinking. Let's face it not one of them is going to announce they are on incapacity........yes it does bring perks, going to research it now! Does legal aid entitlement kick in once you are on incapacity OR invalidity? I am sure any savings they had would have been eaten up by now??

I see noone still at work do you??

- Shevat Yehudah
Tigger
Local Lag

Postby margaret » Fri May 30, 2008 11:09 am

I would imagine they're entitled to incapacity benefit and whilst l deplore their actions on holiday, they no doubt have worked hard and paid into the system over the years so they're entitled to the benefit.

I woudn't think they're in the right frame of mind to work anyway, l certainly wouldn;t want them treating me with what they've got going on in their minds.

Edited to add, don't know about the legal aspect ring ACAS they will help, you can pretend to be someone on incapacity benefit if you like... 08457 47 47 47
A little light relief: Mary had a little lamb, she tied it to a pylon, 10,000 volts shot up its bum and turned its wool to nylon.
margaret
Local Lag

Postby Tigger » Fri May 30, 2008 11:14 am

Incapacity Benefit
http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/ste ... 015299.pdf

Who can get Incapacity Benefit?
To claim Incapacity Benefit you must be:

Unable to work due to illness or disability for at least four days in a row (including weekends and bank holidays). During the first 28 weeks of the benefit this usually means being too ill or disabled to do your normal job. Benefit is only paid beyond 28 weeks if your are regarded as too ill or disabled to do any sort of work. AND
Aged 16 or over, and under state pension age. AND
Not eligible for Statutory Sick Pay. For example, if you are self-employed, unemployed, or your Statutory Sick Pay has expired.
Entitlement is usually based upon you having paid adequate National Insurance contributions. There are some exceptions to this rule. Mainly, National Insurance contributions are not needed if you claim under the age of 20 (or under 25 if you were in education or training for three months or more just before turning 20) and have been too ill or disabled to work for at least 28 weeks.

If you are not sure if you qualify, then seek expert help and advice. (See below.)

How much is Incapacity Benefit?
Incapacity Benefit is payable at three rates, depending upon the length of time you have been unable to work. The basic rates below are from April 2007, and they usually go up each April.

Short-term lower rate (for first 28 weeks of being unable to work) - £61.35 a week.
Short-term higher rate (for weeks 29-52 of being unable to work) - £72.55 a week.
Long-term rate (for after 52 weeks of being unable to work) - £81.35 a week.
But note: The rules for benefits can sometimes become complicated. The amounts shown above are a guide and your individual circumstances may affect the amount that you get. For example:

Short-term higher rate and the long term rate are taxable.
You may be entitled to additional money or benefits if you have adult dependants.
You may get an 'age addition' if you are on the long-term rate and were under 45 when you first became incapable of work.
You may be entitled to the long-term rate after 28 weeks of being unable to work if you get the highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance or you are terminally ill.
You cannot get Incapacity Benefit if you receive a state pension. However, when you reach the state pension age and are claiming Incapacity Benefit, you may choose to continue receiving Incapacity Benefit for a few further years if that is a better option. You may need to take advice on which is the best option.
If you are not sure about how much you should be getting, and how it may affect other benefits, then seek expert help and advice. (See below for sources of help and advice.)

What are the medical rules for getting Incapacity Benefit?
At the start of an illness, you can usually get Incapacity Benefit on the basis of sick notes from your doctor.
After a certain time of claiming Incapacity Benefit you may have to take the 'personal capability assessment' to find out if you are unable to do any sort of work.
What does the personal capability assessment involve?
The Department of Work and Pensions sends you a questionnaire. On it you have to give information, by ticking boxes, about how your illness or disability affects your ability to do certain things. These include walking, sitting, standing, lifting, and carrying.
The completed questionnaire is returned together with a statement from your doctor. The doctor will give a diagnosis, but will not have to give an opinion about your fitness for work.
Most people completing the questionnaire will be asked to attend a medical assessment conducted by a doctor appointed by the Department of Work and Pensions.
Incapacity Benefit will be paid if, on the basis of the questionnaire and the doctor's reports, it is decided that you are too ill or disabled to do any work.
People with certain severe conditions are not expected to be capable of work and do not have to do the personal capability assessment. There is a long list of exempt categories. The following are some of the conditions: terminally ill, severe learning difficulties, severe mental health problems.

Can you work while getting Incapacity Benefit?
Incapacity Benefit is usually stopped if you start work, but check with your local Jobcentre Plus office for up-to-date rules. You can do a small amount of permitted work without your benefits being affected

How do you claim Incapacity Benefit?
go to the website of DIrect.gov (details below), a government site where you can download a claim form, OR
get a claim form from your local Jobcentre Plus office, OR
Claim online at http://www.dwp.gov.uk/eservice/

I have no problem with anyone claiming this for genuine reasons of course, what does worry me slightly is the legal bill that the British Tax payer is picking up.................or are they? Just a thought!
Last edited by Tigger on Fri May 30, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Shevat Yehudah
Tigger
Local Lag

Postby starlight » Fri May 30, 2008 11:16 am

I am wondering about Family life insurance.

If a Family is covered by life insurance, under what circumstances could the McCanns claim for Madeleine I wonder.

Would they be able to claim without a body and could Madeleine be declared dead after x years ?
starlight
Suspect

Postby DCB » Fri May 30, 2008 11:19 am

starlight wrote:I am wondering about Family life insurance.

If a Family is covered by life insurance, under what circumstances could the McCanns claim for Madeleine I wonder.

Would they be able to claim without a body and could Madeleine be declared dead after x years ?

I understand that you cannot insure the life of a child.
On Saturday we asked the Portuguese police if they had any objection to us coming back to the UK. We had assured them that we will continue to cooperate fully with the investigation and of course will return as requested and for our own emotional reasons.
DCB
Been Cautioned

Postby CathyD » Fri May 30, 2008 11:29 am

Tigger, anyone on incapacity benefit is entitled to financial assistance with legal expenses but only up to a certain amount of money. If any of the tapas 7 are receiving legal advice then I doubt this small amount of financial assistance would cover their costly lawers fees. I wouldn't mind betting that the McCanns backers are paying the tapas 7s legal fees if it helps to keep K&G out of court.
CathyD
Suspect

Postby Tigger » Fri May 30, 2008 11:34 am

Hi CathyD :D thank you for that! That clairfies that!! :lol:

However I would be surprised if the McCANNS backers were backing all of them? Any discontent in the ranks, trouble at mill would almost certainly lend itself to dodgy terra firma. I know that if I was one of the 7, I would want independant advice and support..........without it you have no voice? Or is that the idea?

Gut feeling, call it what you want but I JUST have the vibe that all is not entirely cohesive in the Tapas camp! But it is only a gut feeling.

The backers are very quiet? Maybe they are backing off? I would like to know where this never ending pot of money is coming from. THE COST MUST BE MASSIVE?

If I was a backer, I know I would have started to BACK off by now! :wink:

- Shevat Yehudah
Tigger
Local Lag

Postby Scarlett » Fri May 30, 2008 12:02 pm

Some NHS Trusts pay 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay for sickness. Then they will face a board.
This only applies to certain sections of staff though.

I would have been entitled to this in my last Trust. (Nurse consultant)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Cuddle Cat. Copy and paste cuddle cat into your
(")_(") signature to help her gain world domination
Scarlett
First Time Offender

Postby Tigger » Fri May 30, 2008 12:23 pm

So we are over the year..............a board may have already been faced?? Thank you for that Scarlett :)

- Shevat Yehudah
Tigger
Local Lag

Postby aura2312 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:27 pm

This is what I am thinking. Let's face it not one of them is going to announce they are on incapacity........yes it does bring perks,

Sorry a bit off topic, I am on incapacity benefit, but I have found no 'Perks' What perks do you feel the tapas 7 will be getting if they are on Incapacity benefit?
aura2312
New In Town

Postby Monkeyman » Fri May 30, 2008 1:05 pm

I am also on incapacity and there is no perks, i cannot get help with anything, you still have to pay for prescriptions, dentist, and opticians
Monkeyman
Suspect

Next

Return to Justice for Madeleine