McCanns and the 'Ogre of the Ardennes'

Madeleine Beth McCann went missing from PDL in Portugal on the 3rd May 2007, there are so many unanswered questions, please discuss

McCanns and the 'Ogre of the Ardennes'

Postby NeverPebbles » Thu May 29, 2008 11:03 pm

Once again the McCanns get 'celebrity' status and are featured with a murderer.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Articl ... ?UserKey=0

Parents vow quest for justice will continue as 'ogre' jailed
killer of seven girls imprisoned but family of murdered english student still wait
By Jamie Grierson

Published: 29/05/2008

KILLER: Michel Fourniret, the 'Ogre of the Ardennes', was sentenced to life in prison
More Pictures
The parents of an English student murdered in France 18 years ago said yesterday their "quest for justice" would continue as the man suspected of killing their daughter was jailed.

Michel Fourniret, dubbed "the Ogre of the Ardennes", was sentenced to life in jail yesterday for the joint rape and murder of seven girls.

He is thought to have been involved in many more, including British student Joanna Parrish. Joanna, 21, from Gloucester, was raped and murdered in Auxerre in 1990, while working as an English teacher during her gap year.

In March, Fourniret, 66, was given "mise en examen" status, making him an official suspect in the Parrish case – similar to the "arguido" status used in Portugal and the Madeleine McCann case.

After the court hearing in Charleville Meziere yesterday, Joanna's parents said they must now wait to see if Fourniret was charged in connection with their daughter's death.

Roger Parrish and Pauline Sewell, who attended the trial in France, issued a joint statement after Fourniret was jailed for life.

It read: "This is not the final chapter in our quest for justice for Joanna, we must wait to see if Fourniret is to be charged in connection with her death.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims of this killer because we know what they have gone through.

"We are very grateful to them for the support they gave us during our visits to France, indeed we would like to acknowledge the kindness and messages of hope from around the world we have received over the last 18 years."

Fourniret, 66, stalked his seven victims to satisfy his perverted desire to prey on virgins. His victims were Isabelle Laville, 17, Fabienne Leroy, 20, Jeanne-Marie Desramault, 22, Elisabeth Brichet, 12, Natacha Danais, 13, Celine Saison, 18, and Mananya Thumphong, 13.

Monique Olivier, 59, who was also sentenced to life, worked with Fourniret to allay the victims' suspicions. She was convicted of helping in some of the killings.

The verdicts ended a two-month trial that riveted France and neighbouring Belgium where one of the victims was killed.

The young women and girls were either strangled, shot or stabbed with a screwdriver between 1987 and 2001.

Fourniret was given the maximum sentence by the jury in north-east France and cannot be considered for parole for 30 years.

Olivier was convicted of complicity in four of the murders and must serve at least 28 years.

The prosecutor called Olivier "a witch", while Fourniret's court-appointed defence lawyer described him as "indefensible". Fourniret refused to be represented and remained silent through most of the proceedings.

Fourniret, who had previous convictions for rape, was caught in June 2003 after the bungled kidnapping of a 13-year-old girl. The girl gave authorities his registration after she managed to untie her hands and escape from the back of Fourniret's van.

Belgium extradited Olivier to France in 2005, and Fourniret in 2006. Judicial officials in both countries decided the case should be tried in France because six of the victims were French citizens.
'They've taken her!'
Who, Kate? Who 'took' your daughter?
NeverPebbles
On Parole

Re: McCanns and the 'Ogre of the Ardennes'

Postby JillyComeLately » Thu May 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Wow, the link is in comparing their Suspect status (arguidos) to the murderer Fourniret's Suspect status (mise en examen) and not linking the McCanns with the parents of the victims.

A big shift in perspective, surely?

Thanks NeverPebbles.
"It is a fact that in the right formation, the lifting power of many wings can achieve twice the distance of any bird flying alone."
JillyComeLately
Mafia Boss

Postby redsquare » Fri May 30, 2008 12:33 am

I know this case very well and it is a true example of parents leaving no stone unturned to get to the truth of what happened to their daughter. They have fought long and hard for it.

The McCanns are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath.
redsquare
Been Cautioned

Postby JillyComeLately » Fri May 30, 2008 2:35 am

redsquare wrote:I know this case very well and it is a true example of parents leaving no stone unturned to get to the truth of what happened to their daughter. They have fought long and hard for it.

But redsquare, the article isn't mentioning the McCanns in the same breath as the parents whose children Fourniret murdered.

The McCanns are being mentioned in the same breath as Fourniret -

In March, Fourniret, 66, was given "mise en examen" status, making him an official suspect in the Parrish case – similar to the "arguido" status used in Portugal and the Madeleine McCann case.

That's a huge shift in perspective, the McCanns are being linked to the murderer and not in the role of grieving parents.
"It is a fact that in the right formation, the lifting power of many wings can achieve twice the distance of any bird flying alone."
JillyComeLately
Mafia Boss

Postby OurLadyofFatima » Fri May 30, 2008 2:49 am

That's pretty interesting, a good find!

I naturally appreciated the prosecutor reffering to the ogre's friend as a "witch". The McCovens.
OurLadyofFatima
First Time Offender

Postby weissnicht » Fri May 30, 2008 6:15 am

redsquare wrote:I know this case very well and it is a true example of parents leaving no stone unturned to get to the truth of what happened to their daughter. They have fought long and hard for it.

Same breath ? I would say, same in the same week.
"We have not cooperated in any shape or form"
Clarence Mitchell
weissnicht
Mafia Boss

Postby Primavera » Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 am

Le couple devrait encore compara├«tre aux assises pour les meurtres de Joanna Parrish et Marie-Ang├¿le Dom├¿ce, lui notamment pour assassinat, elle pour complicit├®. La condamnation de Michel Fourniret et de son ├®pouse Monique Olivier ne met pas un terme ├á "notre qu├¬te de justice", ont indiqu├® mercredi les parents de la Britannique Joanna Parrish, pour le meurtre duquel Fourniret a ├®t├® inculp├® mais pas encore jug├®. Joanna Parrish, une Britannique de 20 ans, avait ├®t├® viol├®e et tu├®e en 1990 pr├¿s d'Auxerre, dans le centre de la France.

The couple will still have to appear at the assizes for the murders of Joanna Parrish and Marie-Angèle Domèce, him notably for murder, her for complicity. The sentencing of Michel Fourniret and his wife Monique Olivier does not put an end to, "our quest for justice," was indicated on Wednesday by the parents of the British woman Joanna Parrish, for the murder of whom Michel Fourniret has been accused but not yet tried. Joanna Parrish, a British woman aged 20, had been raped and killed in 1990 near Auxerre, in the middle of France.

Michel Fourniret a ├®t├® inculp├® en mars pour cet assassinat, ainsi que celui de Marie-Ang├¿le Dom├¿ce, une handicap├®e de 19 ans disparue le 8 juillet 1988 et dont le corps n'a jamais ├®t├® retrouv├®. Ces deux affaires n'ont pas encore ├®t├® jug├®es. Monique Olivier a accus├® en f├®vrier 2005 son mari d'avoir tu├® les deux jeunes femmes, ce que Michel Fourniret a toujours ni├®. Mais les parents de Joanna esp├¿rent avoir la confirmation que l'homme condamn├® en France est bien l'assassin de leur fille.

Michel Fourniret was accused of that murder in March, as well as that of Marie-Angèle Domèce, a disabled woman aged 19, who disappeared on July 18th 1988 and whose body has never been found. These two cases have not yet been tried. In February 2005, Monique Olivier accused her husband of having killed the two young women, which Michel Fourniret has always denied. But Joanna's parents hope to have confirmation that the man sentenced in France is indeed their daughter's killer.

Une confrontation entre Michel Fourniret et Monique Olivier aura lieu "entre le 20 et le 30 juin" au tribunal de Charleville-M├®zi├¿res, dans le cadre de l'enqu├¬te sur le meurtre de Joanna Parrish, a annonc├® mercredi l'avocat de la famille. Ce meurtre est l'un des onze imput├®s ├á Fourniret par son ├®pouse, mais il ne compte pas parmi les sept qui viennent d'├¬tre jug├®s dans un proc├¿s de deux mois achev├® mercredi ├á Charleville.

A confrontation between Michel Fourniret and Monique Olivier will take place, "between the 20th and the 30th of June," at the Charleville-M├®zi├¿res court, in the context of the enquiry into the murder of Joanna Parrish, the family's lawyer announced on Wednesday. This murder is one of the eleven imputed to Fourniret by his wife, but it does not count among the seven which have just been judged in the two-month trial concluded Wednesday in Charleville."

Translation of the whole article:

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Original article:

http://www.kidnapping.be/fourniret/index.html

29/05/08
"I can no longer observe such pleased mad faces."
("Killers," by Alice Walker.)

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/
Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby librarising » Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 am

NeverPebbles wrote:Fourniret, who had previous convictions for rape, was caught in June 2003 after the bungled kidnapping of a 13-year-old girl. The girl gave authorities his registration after she managed to untie her hands and escape from the back of Fourniret's van.

Sorry a bit off topic but what a brave girl. Saved a good few lives.
It ain't over till the thin lady sings.
librarising
Been Cautioned

Postby pigeontoes » Fri May 30, 2008 8:30 am

JillyComeLately wrote:

But redsquare, the article isn't mentioning the McCanns in the same breath as the parents whose children Fourniret murdered.

The McCanns are being mentioned in the same breath as Fourniret -

That's a huge shift in perspective, the McCanns are being linked to the murderer and not in the role of grieving parents.

Agree 8) Very interesting.....

I've been away from my PC and the McCann case for over a week, and the first reminder I had on my return wasn't the 3As, but an article in the local rag :shock: mentioning the mysterious txts to Gerry from the "officially unidentified" mobile and CRUCIALLY - mention of the 2nd May as being of interest :shock: This was before I realised the reconstruction had been scuppered (no surprise there!) - but it's the first time I'd seen anything like this in print, in the British press. I'd say the tide has definitely turned.
"We acknowledge that there is no evidence whatsoever to support (1) this theory and (2) that Kate and Gerry are completely innocent of any involvement in their daughter's disappearance."
pigeontoes
You're Nicked

Postby JillyComeLately » Fri May 30, 2008 3:00 pm

I've lost count of the number of times I've felt the UK media turning.

I still believe with their current emphasis on neglect charges, the press are just endorsing the abduction carp :(
JillyComeLately
Mafia Boss

Return to Justice for Madeleine